Bride & Prejudice

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

KeY WoRdS..x

Bollywood...
term for the Indian film industry, based in Bombay.
The industry produces a large number of films, based on traditional Indian themes involving exotic sets and dance routines, complicated romances between females and idealised male hero figures.
Indian films are aimed specifically at an Indian audience but in recent years their influence has been felt more widely with themes bridging Western & Indian culture.
This is relevant to my study as I will be creating a comparison between a typical Bollywood film to 'Bride & Prejudice'. This will help me to identify the similarites and differences between the two.

Miramax...

a film corporation founded by Harvey & Bob Weinstein in 1979, under the ownership of Walt Disney Studio Entertainment from 1993.
Miramax graduated from the production of low - budget, art house movies to more prestigious and financially rewarding mainstream productions.
This is the institution that produced the text that I am studying, therefore this is relevant information for me as I gain an insight into what the institution is about and how I could possibly link their characteristics to the nature of this film.

Musical...
a film genre that incorporates songs as part of the film's narrative.
The genre has proved versatile, adapting to different musical tastes and changes in expectation.
My text is a musical, therefore this definition can relate to the genre of my film and help to identify the way in which such films work.

Representation...

the process whereby the media construct versions of people, places and events in images, words or sound for transmission through media texts to an audience.
Representations can provide models of how we see gender, social groups, individuals and aspects of the world we all inhabit. They are ideological in that they are constructed within a framework of values and beliefs - they can therefore be mediated.
No representation is real - only a version of the real.
Can be positive/negetive.
As I will be discussing the representation of Asians in this film, representation is a very important factor towards my study and this helps me to gain a full idea about what representation includes and how I can relate this to my study.

Romantic Comedy...
a film genre developed in 1930's Hollywood where the two main protagonists are a man and a woman who seem to be at odds with each other but end up romantically involved.
Although my film is a hybrid of several genres, one of them is it being a romantic comedy. The description of a romantic comedy here clearly highlights the genre and narrative of my text in a sense.

Stereotype...
the social classification of a group of people by identifying common characteristics and universally applying them in an often oversimplified and generalised way, such that the classification represents value judgements and assumptions about the group concerned.
As I will be discussing the stereotypes of Asians that are used frequently in my text and in society today, this is relevant as it helps me objectify what exactly a stereotype is and how they may be expressed in my text.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home